Our Family

Our Family
January 2010

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Funny, But Not Funny Story

Well here is a funny story for everyone to laugh at. I wasn't laughing at the time even though I knew it was funny. Labor Day Weekend Gary & I had started a project that as usual we didn't get finished as quickly as we would have liked. We decided to take down the railing across our front porch & open it up. Well we had to replace some of the 4x4's which meant sanding down the old & painting them & the new. Well I had already put a first coat on them, but they still needed a second. So Gary asked me before he went to work if I would finish painting them so that when he got home he could hang some lattice work that we had bought to go down the posts. So I put Bryant down for a nap. Went out & got the paint, poured it in the paint pan that already had my roller laying in it, then realized that there was water in the paint pan so all the paint I had just poured in it was all watery. So I picked up the paint pan & was going to go dump the paint out when I spilled the paint ALL OVER the sidewalk. So I put down the paint pan & went to go get the hose that was on the fenced part of the yard & when I opened the gate our new puppy Minnie ran out & went and got the wet, painted roller & started running all over the yard with it. So after I chased her down & took the paint roller away from her & looked to see how much paint she had in her mouth (stupid dog picked it up by the actual roller), I finally got the hose & started spraying the paint off the sidewalk. It wasn't coming off so I knew I was going to have to go to the store & buy paint thinner or something. So as I'm hurrying to turn off the water so that I can get to the store before it closed in like 15 minutes, Alyssa yells to me that a frog just went inside the house. Yes, a little frog had found it's way under our screen door & jumped inside & of all places it went was in our dining room. So I am down on my hands & knees underneath my dining room table & chairs trying to catch this frog with a cup. I finally caught it & put it back outside, woke up Bryant & headed to the store. As I am in the store calling Gary to ask him if he has any suggestions for getting paint off cement, both him & the cashier (a friend of ours) & probably everyone else in the store are laughing at me as I am telling him the story over the phone. So I finally get what I need & head home. And as I pull in the driveway & shut off the car I realize that when I left the house I made sure to go around & lock up every door & that stupidly I had grabbed our SPARE set of car keys that has only car keys on it & that now I was locked out of the house! Just great, right?!?
Well luckily, what I hadn't noticed when I pulled in the driveway was that Gary's work truck was home & he had luckily got home during the few minutes I was gone so I wasn't locked out of the house after all. After some whining to my husband about what a bad experience it had been, Gary helped me to paint the posts & we hung the lattice & got the porch finished. He said that from now on he won't ask me to paint anymore. Oh yeah & we poured paint thinner on our sidewalk & scrubbed the heck out of it but needless to say I still have paint splattered on my sidewalk. :)

2 comments:

Corri said...

Holy cow! That is pretty funny...in a not funny sort of way. :D Glad everything worked out though...well, except for the paint on the sidewalk.

Tiff said...

Oh my! When it rains it pours huh? That is so funny, and the frog on top of it all. Glad you got some of it off. Did your dog get paint all over her???