Our Family

Our Family
January 2010

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Update

Okay I haven't updated in quite a while. So here it goes... as most of you know my hubby got laid off from his job. His entire department was laid off along with 1500 other people at the mine. So luckily, I had taken a job at Denny's as a server beforehand because we pretty much knew that the inevitable was coming. Of course I don't make near as much as my husband did, but at least it is something to pay part of our bills. It isn't the job that I would have chosen, but any job is better than none. Gary is still searching for jobs, but unfortunately there isn't a lot around. He has an interview in Wyoming in a couple of weeks (YUCK!) but if it is the only job that he can get for the time being then we will be grateful & take it probably. I REALLY don't want to move that far away & somewhere where it is so cold, but at this point we can't be too picky. He has had a phone interview for a job in Carlsbad, New Mexico which wouldn't be too horrible & they said they would be calling him for a second interview, but we haven't heard anything back from them yet. Both of those jobs are for vibration analysts job, the same thing that he was doing for Freeport. He also has a test with the state prison next week for an officer position & then 2 weeks after that he has a test with the Border Patrol for an officer position. We are somewhat confident that the companies in Wyoming & New Mexico will offer him jobs & if so then he will take one of those positions temporarily & then if at a later time the prison or border patrol offer him a job then he will most likely take one of those. We have learned now that working for mines is just too risky (especially in today's economy) & would prefer not to have to go through any lay-offs again.
For the time being Gary is just playing Mr. Mom at home with the kids & trying to finish up some projects on the house, at least the ones that don't require too much in supplies. It has been really nice for the kids to be able to stay at home and spend time with Gary. I have never seen Bryant respond to Gary as much as he has in the last couple of weeks. The two of them have really grown a lot closer. So at least there is a silver lining, despite the stress & other hardships that we are currently facing.
The kids are doing well & we just continue to take everything a day at a time. We are just keeping our fingers crossed and keep hoping for some good news to come our way.

2 comments:

Tiff said...

I agree! BOO HISS to the cold state! Yah to Carlsbad!! Whatever happens, I hope it happens quick. Are you on full time now at Dennys?

Heidi said...

Yes I am on full time at Denny's, at least for the time being. Things are starting to slow down a little so I usually get sent home early at least once a week, but I usually make up for it staying late on nights that it is busier, whether I want to or not. I almost never get out of there before 11 or 12 when I am supposed to get off at 10. I agree, Carlsbad sounds a lot better to me too.