So my mother-in-law called me from Mesa the other day & said that my brother-in-law had told her about a farmer's market that had a gonga deal on strawberries. She was going to go find it & buy some for herself & wanted to know if I wanted any. So I told her yes. They were so cheap & even though I am the only one that will eat them I figured I would make something out of them. They were only like $3.00 for a whole flat. I had her buy me 2 flats. I immediately got the bright idea that I would make some freezer jam. I had never done it before, but how hard could it be. I found a recipe & set off on a new adventure. I was right, really not too hard. Well, two full bags of sugar, 5 boxes of fruit pectin, and two & a half hours later I was finally done. LOL!
And I only have this many more fresh strawberries left.......
I am going to just slice & freeze some of them, but I am definitely open to other ideas if anyone has any good ideas or recipes. The funny part is that while I was at Wal-Mart buying the fruit pectin & stuff that I needed for the jam, I saw two people stocking the exact same strawberries & they were priced at $2.00 for a pint. They were the exact same label, flat box, and everything, so it made me feel good because I had gotten them for such a good price! Big thanks go to my wonderful mother-in-law! Your the best Zilpha!
Saturday, May 1, 2010
Oh My Strawberries!
Posted by Heidi at 12:36 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
My mouth was watering just looking at all those strawberries!! And the jam looks delicious too. I think I could eat strawberries with every meal! :) Freezing them is a good idea though because then you can pull them out and use them whenever. I especially LOVE them on homemade vanilla icecream!
Yumm...that looks so delicious! Good for you!
Post a Comment