So I really have to get this off my chest! So, I am at work today and instead of being assigned a section of tables, I am instead moving around from section to section while each of the other servers are on their 30 minute breaks. Well, I get one table in one section and then when that server gets back I get a couple of other tables in the next persons section. So I am running from one end of the restaraunt to the other between all of my tables. Well the one table in the first girls section leaves. By the time I get over there to clean the table, the server assigned to that section is just finishing cleaning it. I thank her for cleaning it & told her I had just come to do it myself. Not a problem according to her. Except one problem for me, SHE STOLE MY TIP!
When I got over there, there wasn't any money on the table. So I check my credit card tips to see if the customer had left a tip on their card, which of course they hadn't. I ask this girl if she saw a tip on the table and she says no. I don't have a good feeling about this knowing that this girl has bugged me & several other co-workers the last few weeks to borrow money. And not to mention right after I asked her, she instantly became my best friend, wanting to help me do everything, almost like she has a guilty conscience. I double check the table, yep no tip! (And it's not so much about the money as it is the principle.)
So I ask my manager if we can review security camera footage. We go back to the office & watch on camera, the customer take money out of her purse, put it on the table, and yep, sure enough, the other server come do me the favor of cleaning off my table, tip & all!
So my manager immediately pulls her aside & asks her if she knows what happened to the tip. Of course she does, there is $5 up front by the register in the pencil caddy, wrapped in an order form with my name on it! (Because the pencil caddy is such a common place for tips to be left!)
So because I am as stubborn as an ox when I am mad, I then go back into the office with the manager & inform her that this girl is lying through her teeth because she had told me she never saw any money on the table. So we then review security camera footage of this server taking money out of her ticket folder, wrapping it in the order form & putting it up front in the pencil caddy when?...during the time that the manager & I were in the office watching camera footage the first time!(Ding! Light bulb goes off in this girls head...oh crap!)
Well a little while later, this girl comes to me & tries to tell me how she didn't steal my tip, blah, blah, blah!!! I calmly reminded her that I asked her if she saw money on the table & she said no. So then she tells me that at the time I asked her if there was a tip on the table that she hadn't finished cleaning it yet . Even though it was completely cleaned off & ready for the next customer and I had gone back & double checked immediately after asking her! So I infomed her that I saw all I needed to see on the security camera footage, that I was not discussing the issue with her any further, and walked away. (Yay me! I didn't go completely nuts on her, even though I really would have liked to!)
How about, she knew she was a lying thief & that she had been caught when the manager & I walked back to watch security footage and so she figured that she better come up with something real fast like sticking money in the most common place for tips to go, the pencil caddy!- 25 minutes after the table had left!
How much of a tip did the customer really leave? I guess I will never know. Needless to say, I will be talking to the general manager first thing in the morning when I get to work & pretty much demanding that this girl be canned since the manager that was on duty today has no authority to hire or fire!
And to think,... I thanked her for cleaning my table!?!
Saturday, March 20, 2010
A Day In The Life of a Waitress
Posted by Heidi at 11:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
Heidi, I am so glad you stood up for yourself! That's the best thing to do. Make her own up to what she did. You'll have to let me know how it turns out. Oh and by the way...every time I see the picture of your kids I can't help but smile at how cute they are and how much they look like Gary! Too cute! (Tell Gary hi for me too if you will! ;P)
How annoying!! I am so sorry, I think you are right about it not being so much about the money-I mean she lied to your face. That would make me so angry! I hope things got all worked out.
Post a Comment